Nautilus is well known as among the best manufacturers of fitness equipment, and the Nautilus E616 Elliptical is proof of this. The mid-priced elliptical has been designed to provide effective workouts for optimal results, and at an affordable price. With quite a number of workout programs and resistance levels, the Nautilus E616 Elliptical is definitely a must-have for home gyms and workout enthusiasts. In this Nautilus E616 Elliptical Review, we take a closer look at this elliptical to give you all the details you may want to know if you are considering buying it.
Nautilus E616 Elliptical Review: Overview
Nautilus E616 Elliptical Review: Overview
When assembled, the Nautilus E616 Elliptical has the following dimensions:
- Height – 160.5 cm
- Length – 181.7 cm
- Width – 67.7 cm
- Weight – 78.6 kg
It supports user weight of up to 136 kg.
The elliptical has several features such as:
- 29 workout programs for a wide variety of exercise options – 12 profile, 9 heart rate, 4 custom program options, 4 fitness tests, 1 recovery test, and 1 quick start option.
- 25 resistance levels for a wide range of intensity levels when working out.
- 20-inch stride that is comfortable for most users. It is not adjustable though, therefore it may be uncomfortable for taller or shorter individuals
- Rubberized footpads to make workouts more comfortable
- Motorized incline (up to 11%) that allows you to train uninterrupted while increasing the intensity of your workout.
- High speed and inertia drive system that has a perimeter weighted flywheel for an easy startup and smooth workouts.
- Dual-track LCD screens that are easily viewable in low light for multitasking as you work out
- Heart rate monitoring via contact grips on the stationary handlebars or a wireless chest strap (the chest strap is purchased separately)
- In-console sealed Bluetooth acoustic speakers for quality sound. You can sync your music device to the speakers via Bluetooth and listen to your music as you work out. It also has an MP3 input port
- 3-speed fan to cool you as you work out
- Angled moving handlebars that let you find your most comfortable hand position
- Transport wheels that make it easy for you to move the elliptical around and an oversized crossbar tubing for more stability
- Bluetooth connectivity to download your workout data
- USB charging port
- Book or tablet holder that you can place a book, magazine or tablet on to read as you work out.
- Water bottle holder
Dual-track backlit LCD screens. The lower screen shows the key workout stats such as the time, RPM, and heart rate, while the higher screen shows more detailed information such as the next resistance level or program. You can place your tablet on this second screen, if you prefer to use it, using a little ledge that is fitted below the screen.
- Bluetooth and USB connectivity to MyFitnessPal to track and share your progress reports and other fitness data and Nautilus Connect to download your workout data
- 12 profile programs that include 4 mountain rides, 4 fun rides, and 4 challenges
- 9 heart rate programs that have custom settings
- 2 fitness test programs
- 4 user profiles that store each user’s personal information and workout data online
- 1 recovery test program that measures how quickly your heart rate can recover
- The workout data that is measured and stored by the machine includes:
- Revolutions per minute
- Heart rate
- Calories burnt
The Nautilus E616 Elliptical has 29 preset programs (12 profile, 9 heart rate, 4 custom program options, 4 fitness tests, 1 recovery test, and 1 quick start option) such as the common ones that include aerobic, calorie burn, and cross-training exercises. It also has a manual mode that allows you to work out without selecting a program or even turning on the console. The quick start option allows you to bypass the warm-up steps.
The elliptical also has the target heart rate programs that adjust the resistance levels of the elliptical to help you stay within your target heart rate. The target heart rate is based on the user’s weight, heart, and exercise goal (chosen exercise program).
The custom program option lets you create your own customized workout program that you can save and use later. Since the elliptical allows up to four user profiles, each user can create their own custom program under their individual profile that can’t be shared with any other user.
Nautilus does not sell and ship its equipment directly. It instead sells and ships to local retailers and online retailers such as Amazon and eBay.
The Nautilus E616 Elliptical is shipped together with a step-by-step manual and the necessary tools t0 assemble it. Assembly may not be easy for some users since it has many pieces that need to be assembled. It takes an average of 1-2 hours to assemble all the pieces in order to put the elliptical together.
The Nautilus E616 Elliptical comes with a 10-year warranty, a 2-year parts warranty, a 1-year electronics warranty and a 90-day labor warranty.
- The 29 workout programs are great for an elliptical in its price range. They are convenient as you can choose whichever workout program works for you instead of being limited to a few choices like in other elliptical machines.
- Its 25 magnetic brake resistance levels are more than what is found in any other machine in its price range (5 more than what is found in its predecessor, the Nautilus E614 Elliptical). The magnetic resistance is provided by an eddy current brake, and has no friction, requires little to no maintenance costs, and has a quiet operation.
- It is a sturdy and strong machine that can support heavier people, up to 136kg.
- The Dual-track LCD screens are great for multitasking – you can read your favorite online magazine on one screen as you monitor your workout on the other.
- In addition to Bluetooth, you can also download your workout data via USB.
- It takes long to assemble (a little over two hours) due to its many parts (they are around 25). You may need help when assembling it to reduce the time taken
- The elliptical has no lifetime warranty; it has only the 10-year one. This is below the market standards where most elliptical machines have lifetime warranties. Its labor warranty of 90 days is short when compared to the industry standard of one year
- The elliptical has a provision for a wireless chest strap for more accurate heart readings, but it is not included in the packaging. You have to buy one separately if you do not want to use the monitor on the handlebars.
- The manual occasionally does not match the actual machine, and some of the assembly instructions and illustrations may be inaccurate or not detailed. The images provide better instructions for assembly than the text instructions.
- The bolt connecting the right handle to the right pedal breaks easily. You have to order for the replacement bolt from Nautilus, and waiting for the replacement part to be shipped takes more than two weeks.
The Nautilus E616 Elliptical is a great machine that can be used either in a home gym or by a fitness enthusiast for great results. The wide range of workout programs and resistance levels only serve to increase the quality and variety of exercises, for the best results. It provides an effective cardiovascular workout combining your upper and lower body coordination and flexibility into one impact-free motion that is easier on your joints. Anyone looking to do some exercises on an elliptical should not look any further than the Nautilus E616 Elliptical. It is moderately priced, making it affordable, and has some of the best features among elliptical machines in its price range. Who wouldn’t want 29 workout programs and 25 resistance levels at an affordable price?